Does your dog bark a lot and you want to teach him not to bark? Here are our practical tips on this topic.
If you have a puppy or an older dog, your pooch can barks too little for your taste. In this context, you should ask yourself how to teach your dog not to bark. We will guide you a little in this problem, on the one hand to understand the causes of howling, but also to know how stop your dog barking. We are here.
First of all, why is my dog barking so much?
Above all, before you teach your dog not to bark, you must always understand why your dog is barking. Is he flirting to go out or to come in? Maybe you have dogs barking at the gate or fence once in a while someone passed by ? There are also many other scenarios, almost endless, such as the dog barking when a visitor rings the doorbell, playif you ban him, etc.
In any case, remember that your dog is a living being, with a brain, an intelligent animal that does not bark for no reason. So it is necessary identify the causes of barking before trying to stop them.
Note that there are two aspects to barking: the dog that skin for good reasons, this is the case where its behavior is normal (we will discuss it in the next point); and the case unwanted tremors. It’s the latter that is really bothersome and can be minimized. They are the ones to work with.
There are two main reasons for barking abnormally (at times): there is barking in response to an action, barking in lack of education (ringing the doorbell, wanting to open the door, howling with impatience, howling with loneliness).
And there is, secondly, the howl in incomprehension (when the dog hears a noise in the garden and barks constantly, etc.). Above all, observe your dog to determine the cause of his barking. There can be many reasons if your dog is barking under more than one situation.
SEE ALSO: The Puppy Blues: this phenomenon from which many dog owners suffer
Differentiate between natural barking and nuisance barking
As you can understand, there are two different types of barking: natural barking and nuisance barking. In fact, if you don’t want your dog to bark, there’s no secret: don’t get a dog. A dog barks, it’s in his nature and you can’t do anything about it. At least, as far as natural barking goes. These are only natural. his way of expression.
Barking is a dog’s way of expressing itself!
In our society, a barking dog is almost frowned upon. As an owner, you feel guilty when your dog barks and may disturb the neighbors. But, what you need to understand and above all get out of your head, is that the dog, to express himself, had to sigh. So if your dog barks when he sees someone passing by your house, for example, that does not mean that he is a dangerous dog. The dog warns you that there is potentially dangerous future
The dog is well behaved at this time, he warns you. But, for the most part, the masters are trying to prevent this behavior barking at the dog. However, this is not a nuisance barking. This is one if the dog skin “for nothing”in other words, he flirts for a long time, even if the person is gone, if he flirts behind the fence hear the start of the car, birds, etc.
Understanding your dog: observe normal barking and accept it
So, how do you know the difference between an unwanted skin and a normal one? Knowing that this is normal, you don’t need to do it. Usually, normal tremors this is:
- When the dog barks play or in a moment of excitement (walked where he ran, etc.).
- When your dog sees a passerby, he momentarily warned (it should not be long otherwise it is premature) of potential danger.
- Short skin if he wants you to open the door.
SEE ALSO: The 5 commands to teach your dog to go everywhere with him
Understand the root causes of nuisance barking to treat it
Here are some cases where barking is considered out of timewhere to work:
- When the dog vegetable peels hear any noise, long after it has passed. In this case, your dog can’t put an image on the sound, he doesn’t know if the passerby is still bad or not. In short, he had one misunderstanding behavior that creates anxiety. This usually means that the dog needs more physical and mental spending, more socialization, but also to know certain sounds, situations, etc. better.
- When dogs bark for a long time waiting for you opened the door. In this case, it has no character at all patiencehe did not know what was called frustration in dogs.
- If your dog barks disappointment of not getting something (food is yours, you take too long to give him his bowl, you don’t want to play with him anymore, etc.). Here too, it is a question of a bad apprenticeship in failure.
- The dog barked when you’re not there, he will feel alone and will respond to the slightest noise. In this case, it may mean that the dog has not yet learned privacydisappointment, but then again, maybe not insufficiently spent and social (you may not meet his needs).
SEE ALSO: Why does my dog lick me all the time?
How can I teach my dog not to bark?
So, concretely, how to teach your dog not to bark? As we told you, for normal barking (so not annoying and natural), you can’t do anything, you have to let the dog express himself. On the other hand, for premature, you can do this.
Know that the road is definitely long, especially when the dog is no longer a puppy. However, your dog is just waiting to learn from you, so it is possible to reduce the barking. Just teach him community rules, in the human world. Here are some things to do in trouble-making situations. NB: for all the exercises suggested, calm down, don’t shoutotherwise you will lose credibility in your dog’s eyes.
Teaching your dog not to bark: Learn patience, failure
If the dog barks because of something bad failure skills, there is no secret: you have to teach him that, yes, sometimes you have to stop, you have to be patient, you have to wait to get what you want. In this sense, tryteach your dog to wait and that you decide when he should do such and such a thing. You decide when you open the door, when we go for a walk, when he eats, when we play and when we stop. Here is the some exercises daily to do:
- Teach him, for example, to wait while trying before entering, before his bowl, etc. Sit him and, if he does, reward him for his action and his waiting (wait a moment before, let him sit for a few seconds) by opening the door, taking the bowl. Teach him that he can get what he wants if he waits. Do the same with your food, but show him that he doesn’t have it too often (don’t give orders to wait, sit for example. And if he does it because he knows the trick, don’t give it to him).
- You can also teach him commands like “keep quiet”, “wait”. For this, here are two exercises that I do with my beauceron. For “keep quiet”, bring a treat, have the dog sit and show it a treat, then walk away from it a few steps back while saying “keep quiet”. If he doesn’t act, reward him. For “wait”, same principle, but put the candy in front of his nose while saying “wait”, if he doesn’t eat it, reward.
Management of barking due to lack of spending, knowledge of the world, socialization
If the dog barks at everything and nothing, leave him alone sighing from boredom in the end, there are no 36 solutions. You need to make him discover things, let him discover noises, different situations, all while sharing the present moment with him. Here are some tips on this:
Teach your dog not to bark: Some practical exercises to manage barking when T
- Teaching your dog not to bark when he hears any noise when he is in the garden is a little complicated because it is a reaction to a deeper problem than the noise itself. . For example, you can try throw him a toy if it interferes, but it is only a temporary solution.
- You can also teach him not to fart by integrating order into daily life. For example, the same way you teach him to “sit”, try teach him the command “skin”. when he barks and praise him for his barking. Then try to teach him the command “quiet” when he stops thirsting, then reward him to show him to do the command well.
Give your dog life, he needs to see and hear enough things every day
- Another thing, which helps you to manage the problem more firmly and especially to manage other problems: get the dog just to teach him not to flirt. Show him several situations, places: go to the city, then to the forest, etc. It is also necessary meet other dogs of all ages and sizes, people of all ages and sizes.
- The dog should too have enough experiences, doing sports for example, smelling good smells. Seeing the cars start, seeing the birds, seeing a person passing the lawnmower with the accompanying sound… In short, experienced enough things to make him get used to such and such a noise and know what corresponds to the noise. distance to neighbor.
You understand it, because Teach a dog not to bark, you need to understand the reason for the barking. It should also be understood that some barking is normal and some is not (it is a result of another anxiety). If you have other exercises in mind, share them with us in the comments. Also if you have questions, an experience to share, on your keyboards!