Just like us, dogs need their own little space, so why not give them a cozy dog house? Whether placed inside or outside, it is more than just a bed for your pet. It offers him a shelter to rest undisturbed and allows him to sleep dry and sheltered from the wind. The ideal is to get a niche that measures 1.5 to 2 times the height of your dog. Usually made of plastic or wood, they come in many models. It’s not always easyto choose, so we have prepared a selection of the best dog kennels.
The two types of dog houses
Before starting to buy a dog houseknow that there are two types:
- the outdoor area: it is made of hard materials, and usually takes the form of a small chalet with a waterproof roof and insulated walls. It is designed to last and protect the animal from bad weather. Remember, however, that in very cold regions, it is best not to let your dog sleep outside.
- the inner nichee : made of cloth, it usually looks like a TRYING or a tepee. It is not used to protect the animal but it provides a little shelter and a place to rest. For comfort, you can add a pillow. It is often aimed at small dogs.
Where to put the dog house?
- If it is an outside area: it is best to keep it away from drafts and as close to the house as possible so that the dog feels less alone. In addition, he can take advantage of the protection that your house offers against the wind. In the summer, place–there under a tree for shade. In winter, placethere in the concrete blocks. Isolating it from the ground will prevent the kennel from being damaged by humidity and it will be more comfortable for your pet.
- If it’s an inside niche: should be placed on the floor, it is best to place it in the living room because it is a comfortable and lively place. Your dog needs socialization and contact with family members. Avoid placing the doghouse outside, under the stairs or in a closet.
To choose your dog houseit is important to consider these two criteria:
- The material : as explained, the material of dog house depends on where you want to put it. If you need an interior niche, prefer tofabrics tender. If you are planning to get an outdoor area, wood and plastic are preferred. We are careful in choosing the niches that are manufactured with different materials.
- Dimensions: beyond its design, you must first choose the right niche size. This will depend on the size of your dog. Choose for A model 1.5 to 2 times longer than your pet. So you will find in our guide many sizes of dog house.
Discover our selection of the best products right away in our special buying guide dog house !
What dog mat to buy?
Wooden dog house – DOG Copenhagen
Note to owners of large dogs who need space, this varnished pine kennel was made for them!
- Material: wood.
- Dimensions: 104 x 68 x 72 cm (L x W x H).
Our opinion:Made of varnished pine, this quality kennel is ideal for large dogs that need space. With its rectangular shape, your pet can shelter comfortably because its left side is well insulated from the entrance unlike a classic model.
Teepee tent for dogs – Sunnykud
With its built-in cushion and breathable cotton design, this indoor doghouse is the most comfortable for your pet.
- Material: cotton canvas.
- Dimensions: 40 x 40 x 50 cm (LxWxH).
- Available in different sizes and different colors.
Our opinion:This kennel specially designed for indoor use is made of breathable cotton. Most comfortable for your dog, it has a white cushion and is machine washable. Shaped like a teepee, it looks great in a living room or in the garden.
Outdoor dog kennel – Ferplast
Modular, this ultra-ventilated niche has low walls, a removable roof and even a ventilation grille. For this price, it’s a bargain!
- Material: plastic.
- Dimensions: 88 x 65 x 72cm (LxWxH).
- Available in different sizes.
Our opinion:Impact and UV resistant, this model has side walls that open to become a platform for your pet to sunbathe while still close to his kennel when it’s hot. The roof can also be removed for easy maintenance. Besides, he is equipped with an interior ventilation grillee for a well-ventilated and dry environment.
Outdoor wooden dog house – Kerbl
With its bituminized roof, the double insulating walls and the transparent slat curtain, this solid niche is well thought out.
- Material: plastic.
- Dimensions: 83 x 100 x 94 cm (L x W x H).
Our opinion:With this Double walls with thermal insulation, this niche is as good in summer as it is in winter. In addition, it has a transparent slat curtain at the entrance to protect your pet from wind and rain. We also love its ultra waterproof bitumen roof.