Is the Fontmerle pond in Mougins dangerous for dogs, information or intox?

A social media post is enough to scare dog owners. “After a walk at Fontmerle pond in Mougins, my dog ​​was at the vet in critical condition due to bacteria he got in the water”, warned a young woman, on Facebook. That is, cyanobacteria, also called “blue algae”.

Her message, in which the young woman advises Internet users “be very careful”shared over seven hundred times in various Facebook groups.

In the comments, same runaway. Kay has something! These toxin-producing microorganisms (hepatotoxins, neurotoxins and dermatotoxins) are primarily developed in stagnant water that is prohibited for swimming.

If environmental conditions, such as high temperatures and water shortages, favor them, they can multiply rapidly and vigorously on the surface. Sometimes in just a few days.

Some “inhalation” or some “Accidental digestion” can be “deadly”warns the Ansens site (national agency for food, environment and occupational health safety).

“Deaths of animals, usually dogs, but sometimes cattle or wild animals, have been recorded in recent years after exposure to blooms of toxoid-producing cyanobacteria”.

Lots of inconsistencies

Despite the health risks that cyanobacteria can cause, his post has caught the interest of other Internet users. Is the animal really contaminated with these microorganisms? What water did he quench his thirst? Does he do analyzes so he can shout it out loud and clear?

First of all, it should be noted that the owner’s language changes where his malinois, who is eleven months old, is drunk: in the exchanges, we talk first about the lake at Fontmerle, then a canal, finally a fountain.

Without providing any proof, the dog’s owner immediately declared loudly and clearly that it was cyanobacteria poisoning.

In the process, she opened an online kitty for “Help him pay” treatment charged (500 euros) at the Clausonnes veterinary clinic in Valbonne.

And for good reason, his four-legged companion, suffering from vomiting and diarrhea after this famous walk, was infused and hospitalized.

“Some people thought I was lying and called the veterinary clinic to make sure my dog ​​was sick”according to the concerned.

The diagnosis fell through

Judgment? “We diagnosed viral gastroenteritis of unknown origin, said Dr. Paoletti. It can be any virus. ”

Whose cyanobacteria? “It’s a suspicion of some. But it’s clearly unknown. The dog didn’t show any neurological or hepatic problems except when he was admitted, because he was staggered and showed weakness.”

The veterinarian remained vigilant. For him, skepticism remains because cyanobacteria poisoning can cause these types of symptoms.

Only further examinations will make it possible to be sure. Problem? Their cost: “a good hundred euros”according to Doctor Paoletti. “His care has already cost me almost 500 euros, I can no longer pay”regretted the doggie owner.

Why did he point the finger at these microorganisms in question, then? “I described my dog’s condition to the Cyanobacteria Alert Facebook group. I was told the story was similar to cyanobacteria poisoning.” Mao ra.

No clinical case

For its part, the Clausonnes team made sure it didn’t “no clinical case”. Also requested, “The teams at Valmasque Departmental Park have not noticed any impact on the fauna present in the pond”. Especially since no dead ducks have been found, according to the county council.

“This story takes on crazy proportions of networks, observed Dr. Paoletti. We must not fall into psychosis. “ Before the dog owners are notified “walking on the leash”. “During this time, they should not wander around unattended. Nor drink unsafe water.”

As for the Malinois in question: his health improved after symptomatic treatment.

Leave a Comment