Hyperattachment of his master’s dog is one of the most frequent reasons for consulting ethical veterinarians. This is a serious problem which should be taken care of as soon as possible because the dog suffering from is also calledseparation anxiety unhappy and that his master could live in real hell. Here is everything you need to know about dog hyperattachment, its causes, its manifestations and the behavior that needs to be done when dealing with this type of dog.
Hyperattachment or separation anxiety: the causes
When the dog is separated from his mother, brothers and sisters to live with his adopted family, he quickly seeks to be with someone in particular. This phenomenon is specific to packing animals that require dominance. If the separation happens while she is very young, her mother has no time to break the relationship that binds them so tightly, she and her little one. As a rule, this process is completed in adolescence, between 5 and 8 months depending on the breed of dog.
If one adopts a puppy, one has to continue like the mother, which is to ensure that the breakup can go unnoticed. However, the animal is worried, it is extremely attracted and it has become a major element in the lives of its masters who try to reassure it by making it sleep with them or the exhalations that do not end every morning before leaving for work. . It is very troublesome for the dog to be sniffed, kissed, reassured, then suddenly separated from his master, especially if he later notices a certain pain of leaving him alone at home.
Sometimes, hyper attachment is developed in dogs whose owners try to fill the emotional void by weaving an exclusive relationship with their little companion. So you should always be very careful about the behavior your pet adopts.
Whatever the cause, the anxiety of separation will plunge the dog into great trouble. Remember that there are two types:
- L ‘primary hyperattachment : it happens after weaning and, after all, naturally. The dog can only be attached to one person.
- L ‘second hyperattachment : it happens to dogs that have been abused or abandoned and who, in general, are not only with their new owner but with many people.
Many events in a dog’s life can cause this separation anxiety such as the arrival of a child in the family, the adoption of a second animal, an action that brings about a change in the environment. . Although he is not as accustomed to the cat, the dog will still suffer troubles if his behavior changes suddenly.
Hyperattachment in the dog: the signs that need to be alert
A dog that suffers from excessive attachment to its master just feels safe with him. When this person disappears for 10 minutes, 2 hours or an entire day, the animal is very anxious, and it can take on shocking proportions. The following behaviors are very important and may raise suspicion of a hyper-attachment problem.
- The dog behaves like a pot of glue, not leaving his master,
- He shows himself obedient to his breeder,
- He seems to be suffering from depression,
- The dog is very worried when he is alone,
- He would always “cry” or howl without his master,
- He has no rest,
- He would destroy everything that carried his master’s smell when he was away, such as the remote control, clothes, shoes, blankets, sofa, armchair etc., and could knock on the door for hours.
- He comforts himself everywhere in the house,
- He always slapped himself, stabbed himself, even to self -harm,
- He became aggressive
- He may try to flee when his master leaves his perimeter …
It’s too muchproblematic behaviors which would disrupt the life of the master and destroy the family. It should be noted that a dog suffering from hyperattachment syndrome may represent a real danger for he is very jealousy and it promotes aggression.
Separation anxiety or hyperattachment: behavior to use in front of your dog
The owner who faces this type of situation needs to adopt a specific attitude so that his dog can learn to manage his emotions and be independent. Unfortunately, this is far from the case, many people don’t even suspect it’s a real problem, and are as flattered as they are to see their dog pushing them 24 hours a day, completely addicted. to their master.
It is necessary be able to react immediately for the benefit of all, human and animal, the goal is to correct this problem. For example, you need to:
- Do not allow a dog to sleep in the room.
- Restrict access to certain rooms (in addition to the bedroom) of the animal and do not stop. It can be living room, kitchen, office, children’s playground …
- During the time the family is away, limit the perimeter to which the animal is entitled because it never wants to take over the whole house. The smaller the space, the safer he felt. We installed a basket or crate its size, and we couldn’t forget to put a large bowl of water next to it.
- Only one can decide when the game session starts but ends as well.
- It can be completely indifferent if the dog is looking for caresses: the master should neither talk to him nor look at him. On the other hand, he calls his animal when he wants to be petted. After some time, this change in behavior should allow the dog to understand that only his master is on the initiative of these agreements.
- Go back and forth at different times of the day and remain indifferent to the animal’s reactions to gradually get used to seeing his master leave.
- Take the animal for 15 or 20 minutes before walking and then come back from the walk, completely ignoring it and leaving the house.
- End farewell sessions that do not end each morning before leaving for work. And on the night of your return, wait to be picked up and installed to say a short hello to your dog, accompanied by a word with a little caress, with no further display.
- Give the animal a specific toy when it is alone at home, and keep it for the rest of the time.
- Don’t punish your dog if he “forgets” himself at the accommodation when he’s alone. Reprimanding him if he has not been caught in the act has no effect because the dog does not understand why he is being punished. It can even create confusion.
All of these attitudes seem cruel to some people, but it’s not like that. On the contrary, they are part ofeducation and let a dog be better about yourself because he did not trust his master much. It is important to show a specific detachment about a puppy or an adult dog that suffers from hyper attachment, but more commonly about all dogs since then. detachments also a course of action as a preventive measure. Being exclusive with your faithful partner is especially in favor of this disease, even to strengthen it when the animal is already suffering from it.
Finally, note that it is very important to consult a behavioral veterinarian to receive valuable advice on what to do with this breed of dog. The specialist may also prescribe an animal treatment if he or she thinks it should have the effect of calming worries and anxieties during a separation.