What plants are poisonous to dogs?

Our doggie friends are very curious and can talk to any plant that has an intoxicating color or smell. But unfortunately, many plants are dangerous for the dog. If less toxic can cause temporary vomiting, others, even if ingested in small amounts, can lead to rapid and inevitable death of the animal. Let’s examine poisonous plants for dogs, but also what to do if there is poisoning.

What plants are poisonous to dogs?

Here is the list of the main poisonous plants for the dog.

  • Acacia: found in many gardens and forests, acacia is a real poison for the dog.
  • Aglaonema: this plant causes significant digestive irritation in dogs. Often the animal will spit and suffer heart problems.
  • The anemone: only a small amount is needed to kill the dog.
  • Arum: the beauty of arum does not prevent it from becoming a poisonous plant for the dog. Its fruits and flowers are real poisons.
  • Cyclamen: if eaten in large quantities, cyclamen can cause attacks in dogs.
  • Foxglove: because of the digitalis it has, this plant can kill dogs.
  • Ficus: this quick -maintenance plant is very widespread in our interiors, but it is a real poison for dogs, as it contains latex on its leaves.
  • Mistletoe: very poisonous, mistletoe causes digestive disorders and heart problems.
  • Hydrangea: deadly, this plant quickly kills the dog, which dies due to asphyxiation.
  • Holly: the red fruit of holly is poisonous to animals. If the diseases are digestive in small quantities, it can lead to the death of the dog in high doses.
  • Hyacinth: hyacinth can irritate the digestive tract, causing diarrhea and vomiting, but intoxication is usually temporary.
  • Oleander: although it is very popular in gardens, this plant that does not need maintenance to grow is deadly for the dog. When the animal eats it, it dies by asphyxiation for which it is not possible to intervene.
  • The lily: like the cat, the lily is a very poisonous plant for the dog.
  • Lily of the valley: The flowering lily of the valley is as dangerous to dogs as it is to humans.
  • Rhododendron: when eaten in small amounts, it causes vomiting and abdominal pain. But if the dog swallows a large amount, the heart will be affected and coma is common.
  • Tulip: annoying in low doses, tulip may have more harmful effects in larger quantities.
  • Yucca: if it is valued for its unique aesthetics, all aspects of yucca are poisonous for the dog to the point that the animal becomes comatose.

This is also the case with the following plants:

The list of poisonous plants for dogs is not complete. We only mentioned the most common. Before buying, always check for possible poisoning of the plant concerned. Also, be careful if you adopt a puppy, because these young doggies are more curious and can chew on anything they can.

What are the symptoms of plant poisoning in dogs?

Depending on the plant being eaten and the amount ingested, the symptoms can vary greatly. In the “best” cases, the animal will suffer temporary vomiting. But ingestion of certain plants can cause rapid and inevitable death.

Here are the symptoms that can be observed in dogs when there is poisoning of a plant.

  • Digestive disorders: vomiting, diarrhea, hemorrhagic diarrhea, excessive saliva.
  • Nerve diseases: tremor, convulsions, paralysis, coma.
  • Heart disease: heart failure.
  • Respiratory diseases: difficulty breathing, asphyxia.
  • Kidney failure.
  • Eye diseases: conjunctivitis.
  • Mouth diseases: gingivitis.
  • Hypothermia.
  • Death.

What to do in case of plant poisoning in dogs?

First of all, if you have observed past symptoms in your dog or if you have caught him eating a poisonous plant, it is important to take him to the nearest veterinarian without delay.

If possible, tell the veterinarian the name of the plant being eaten. If you don’t know it, take it to the office or take a picture of it. Also tell the veterinarian about any symptoms observed in your doggie.

You can also contact the poison control center. the center of animal venom control and environmental West, based in Nantes, are available daily at 02.40.68.77.40. It is accessible 24 hours a day for veterinarians and from 7 a.m. to midnight for individuals.

What NOT to do?

Faced with drunkenness, we don’t always know how to act and panic or lack of knowledge can lead us to make poor decisions. In any case, in the case of plant poisoning in dogs, here are the things not to do:

  • don’t try to make your dog vomit;
  • do not give him anything to drink or eat, unless your veterinarian tells you otherwise;
  • do not give him medicine.

In any case, follow the procedure advised to you by your veterinarian or poison control center and do not take any other action, because even if you do not think you are doing the right thing, you can make your dog’s condition worse. and compromise his forgiveness, or even his salvation.

How to avoid plant poisoning in dogs?

Unfortunately, an accident happened right away. However, by adopting good habits, you can prevent your pooch from poisoning himself with plants that endanger his health.

  • In your interior and in your garden, avoid planting poisonous plants. Always ask about your purchases to find out their level of poisoning of doggies and opt for as many other species as possible.
  • If you still have poisonous plants for dogs at home, be sure to keep them out of the reach of your little companion. Place it high or prevent entry through a barrier.
  • When you go out, always keep an eye on your pet and don’t let it wander alone in an area with vegetation.

Don’t forget the danger your dog’s plants can pose. Their smell and color will attract your pet and the risk is great. As we said, even if drinking some herbs “only” causes a little temporary vomiting, others can cause his rapid death without you or the veterinarian being able to do anything, even if they swallowed in small quantities.

Leave a Comment