This week, the National Basketball Association (NBA) announced the launch of its own non-fungible token (NFT) initiative called “NBAxNFT”. According to the professional basketball league, the goal is to showcase “everything that intersects basketball and Web3, including NFTs, games, and metaverse.”
Professional Basketball and Web3 Clash
- After the popular NBA Top Shot collection and the upcoming Golden State Warriors 2022 Playoff reactive NFT collection, the NBA has begun NBAxNFTwhich currently consists of a Twitter account and Discord Channel.
- NBAxNFT is called the “Official Web3 Home of the NBA,” and the project aims to integrate everything basketball -related into NFTs, games, metaverse, and Web3 ideas.
- “Thank you to everyone who followed”, official Twitter account of the initiative point. “If you’re new here, we’re excited to use this space to share everything about NBA and Web3 basketball. I look forward to joining our community and colleagues like NBA Top Shot.
- In terms of all -time sales of NFT collections, Dapper Labs ’NBA Top Shot NFT Collection holds the ninth position, in terms of all -time sales volume. Currently, NBA Best Shot has a total of 16,006,548 sales, equivalent to $ 885.6 million since NFT’s inception.
- The recently launched Discord channel has more than 35,000 members at the time of writing and according to the NBA, the 2022 NFT Playoffs will be released this weekend.
- “We show everyone that intersects basketball and Web3, including NFTs, games, and metaverse,” the NBAxNFT Twitter account detailed to launch the Web3 initiative.
- Four days later, the NBA’s Golden State Warriors announced the launch of the 2022 Playoff Responsive NFT Collection.
- At the time of the press, the NBA did not disclose whether or not Dapper Labs or the Flow blockchain would be involved, despite mentioning the company in a tweet about the teammates. Discussions from the NBA’s Discord channel announced the upcoming NFT drop posted on Ethereum.
What do you think of the NBA starting to create a space for Web3, NFT and metaverse content? Let us know what you think about this topic in the comments section below.
Image credits: Shutterstock, Pixabay, Wiki Commons
CAUTIONS: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not a direct offer or the solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, or a recommendation or endorsement of any product, service or company. Bitcoin.com does not provide investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. The company or the author shall not be liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use or reliance on any content, goods or services referred to in this article. .